So we just finished Season 3 of Steven Universe, which was entirely put out with 2 big events, May-June’s “In Too Deep” then July-August’s “Summer of Steven”, this season was originally meant to be apart of season 2, but then season 2 was cut into 2 parts and this was called season 3. So technically I’m just reviewing Season 2 Part II but call it what you want. This season was another improvement from the last with each season getting better and better, this season had a lot less filler than season 2 and 1 and had a lot of good lure for the show as a whole, so before we start some honorable mentions : Bismuth, Barn Mates, Too Short to Ride, Steven vs Amethyst. Now with that out of the way, onto the list!
10. Hit the Diamond – Now this episode being a baseball episode is really really random. We get the introduction of the Rubies Squad from Homeworld who are looking for Peridot and Jasper who they think are in the barn and want to investigate. Steven says they need to play baseball against them to see inside, in which this comes in. Garnet unfuses so that Ruby blends in with the other ones. The Rubies are kinda dumb as characters but its meant to be comedic and it comes off really cute so its okay. So its a classic game of baseball with Ruby and Sapphire basically flirting the entire time, which is cute but kinda annoying at times since they gots to focus on the game. So they win the game and they go to Jupitar to look for Jasper in which they come back in Back to the Moon, onto the next one!
09. Back to the Moon / Bubbled – What a weird place to start with the 2 last episodes of the season! Now these two episodes are tied mainly for it being just the same exact story continued. So this takes place after (SPOILERS) Jasper’s corruption from Earthlings. The rubies return from Hit the Diamond and come looking for her. They explain how they don’t know and Amethyst pretends to be her. After eventually going to the moon and talking about Pink Diamond, Steven gets triggered and starts fighting with the rubies about her. This eventually leads to Amethyst being revealed to not be Jasper to the rubies and they get sucked into space, with Steven. Now with Bubbled Steven is just with one of the rubies named Eyeball talking about Rose Quartz and Pink Diamond. Eyeball is convinced that Steven is actually Rose and attempts to shatter him. After eventually losing her in space the gems find Steven and bring him back to Earth with a sad moment of Garnet confirmed that Rose did in fact shatter Pink Diamond, a huge moment for the entire show.
08. Greg the Babysitter – 2 words, Baby Sour Cream. This is a really funny flashback episode about Greg and Rose babysitting Vadalia’s then baby Sour Cream, and ohmygosh he is the cutest thing ever <3. Rose obviously doesn’t know how to watch a baby so they get into a bunch of shenanigans.
07. Super Watermelon Island – This is probably the best season opener in the entire show, you finally get to see Malachite and Alexandrite battle it out with the tiny watermelon Stevens from the season 1 episode and its all while the Cluster is about to happen, its an amazing episode, which I could say the same about the rushed conclusion Gem Drill.
06. Beta – This is the first part of the 4 part finale and it has Steven and Amethyst going back to the barn to see Peridot and Lapis. Once there Peridot takes them to Jasper’s terrible Kindergarden to see where she was made, this ends with them finding Jasper there ending on a cliffhanger to be continued in Earthlings, then Back to the Moon, then Bubbled.
05. Monster Reunion – So this episode is where we really find out that all of Steven’s powers are controlled by emotions because he gets his healing abilities back. He wants to attempt to revive one of the corrupted gems with his ability and picks Centepettle from the season 1 episode “Monster Buddies”. Rose Quartz wasn’t even able to heal corruption from gems so the other gems weren’t expecting Steven to get it, but sure enough he did-sorta. Centi only got half healed and was still unable to talk. She explains her backstory and how she was the commander of her crew and got corrupted by the diamonds during the first gem war. This episode explains corruption a lot more and reveals that the diamonds are actually the ones to make corrupted gems a thing, an amazing episode.
04. Alone at Sea – So this episode is a Steven and Lapis one, weird how rare we get these compared to Steven and Peridot ones. So Lapis is still weirded out from being away from Jasper so long so Steven and Greg take her into the ocean on a ship, in which Jasper finds them. She starts forcing Lapis to fuse with her again and saying how she’s the bad one in the situation rather than her. It weirdly reminds the audience of the situation of an abusive relationship with Lapis being the victim, its a weird but powerful episode.
03. Crack the Whip – At first this episode looks really innocent and like nothing is gonna happen but it soon becomes a huge episode starting a new arc. Jasper fights Amethyst, Amethyst loses and reforms, Stevenoni fights and wins against Jasper, its insane. At the end Amethyst just feels useless to the team as Steven is now considered better than her, again the start of the arc.
02. Earthlings – So. Much. Lure. So Earthlings starts off directly after Beta with Jasper and the corrupted gems. Amethyst tries to strike onto Jasper but they ultimately see them. Now they fight and it is more of a sequel to Crack the Whip’s fight with Amethyst really mad from her loss and her being put down by Jasper. After inevitably losing due to her lack of straight compared to Jasper she has a pep talk with Steven in which they fuse into Smokey Quarts. Now this is Steven’s first fusion with a gem so this was a big deal. Smokey’s weapon is a yo-yo which in my opinion is a perfect weapon for an Amethyst-Steven hybrid. Smokey is winning against Jasper when she claims that its always fusion that wins, with her being obsessed with fusion she fuses with one of the corrupted gems she has. What she forgot was that corruption spreads when in contact with another gem in that way. So after Smokey beats her (again) she becomes corrupted. Steven tries to heal her but she’s too stubborn to accept. Before becoming corrupted she reveals that her original diamond was Pink Diamond rather than Yellow Diamond which everyone thought it was, and also revealed that Rose Quartz did something to the diamond, this is explored in the next episode. Oh yeah, Peridot also has a little gag with her trying her telekinesis powers against Jasper which keeps on losing until the very end which she gives the final blow.
01. Mr. Greg – Steven Universe is really known for its amazing songs and music, so its just fact that an entire episode dedicated to this would be fantastic. Every song here has so much effort put into it and the plot just resolves a huge side plot that has been happening since before the show even started. So after Greg gets $10,000,000 from Marty in “Drop Beat Dad” he goes into Empire City with Steven and Pearl for the night. Steven wanted to bring Pearl to resolves the issues with Rose they have. Once they arrive Pearl is really hesitant on doing much, but being asked to dance with Greg is where she snaps, thinking of her past memories of dancing with Rose. This is where we get into the 2 biggest songs, “It’s Over, Isn’t It?” and “Both of You”. Both of those songs rank on my top 3 SU songs of the whole show, and they both go with this plot wonderfully. The first mentioned is Pearl grieving on Rose and just showing how she lost to Greg in the competition for Rose’s love. After Greg hears her singing he regrets letting her come since they obviously still have beef. Steven brings Pearl to the bar where Greg is sitting and then begins my favorite SU song, Both of You. Steven sings about how they have a lot more in common than they think and how they could be great friends. You really feel that its actually Rose singing from Steven because of the way some of those lyrics are worded, it is an amazing song. After the tune they start talking and become closer than ever, its a beautiful conclusion to one of the greatest Steven Universe episodes as of late.
So thats the list, thanks for reading! If you have an idea for something I should talk about just leave a comment and let me know! Until next time, Peace!